Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Thank God for friends

Well, I am carrying on life in the United States, with all the struggle that being a low-level participant in corporate America implies. This is a beautiful country for many things... except if you are black, with a Muslim name. I have about the craziest combination that can be imagined in the current environment.

In any case, to get me off my increasing depresion, and my sense of helplessness, and hopelessness, and despair, my very good friends from Earlham College came to pay me a visit last Saturday, and it was simply AWESOME! We all went to eat at this Ethipian restaurant, here in Columbus, called the "Blue Nile", and had the best meal I have had in a very long time. It was quite nice to have such an international group of people, and people were looking at us in surprise. There was Behar from Kosovo, Atiq from Afghanistan, Evelyn from Costa Rica, Tanyel from Cyprus/Australia, Joni from the US, and me from the Congo. I mean every continent!! That was an awesome time. We had ice cream after that, listen to salsa music, and had long discussions about life. They could not stay overnight, otherwise I would have taken them to a night-club to party the night out.

But more seriously, they reminded me that there were people who cared for me, and who were willing to come and cheer me up, and have a good time together, and that is simply priceless. I love you guys!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the best Ali, dont forget that -even if they give you a hard time here for your (i think beautiful) name and (i also think) your beautiful looks.

it would have been fun to go out and club, but maybe when you come and visit us.

earlham has not been the same without you this past year, and thats why i decided to leave this year (actually because i am graduating). but, of course, i still have some very special people in my life, Behar being one of them, first my friend, housemate, and now partner whom i am so absolutely crazy about! i know that no matter what, he will always be in my heart. and then atiq, also my friend and housemate whom i've had the priviledge to get to know better over the year. also, of course, evelyn, simply the best. life is so much more beautiful with her friendship. then comes joni, the crazy track girl that i got to grow closer with. i need to visit her in Boston...there are many more that i dont think the space here will be enough...but you are definately a big part of what makes earlham such a special place for me. love you tons!

Anonymous said...

Man Ali, I'm glad that you got such a kick out of us comming out to Columbus, because its definitely been one of the highlights of my spring break. I wish you were closer, and I could get one of your great warm hugs a lot more often, or spend way too much time having fascinating discussions about life when i should be sleeping, but at the same time, seeing you reminds me that one shouldn't let distance keep them from staying in touch with the people they love. I hope before the semester is over we will find time to visit again, and maybe we can cook up some mean cuisine in your own house this time. (I'm still waiting for that beef and plantain stew you made a couple years back, only without the beef this time). Nakupenda sana Ali. Wewe ni mtu mzuri na rafiki bora.

Anonymous said...

I understand Ali. I'm an American born Muslim woman who recently moved back to the states. I have lived in Paris for the past five years. I live in California and have never experienced the kind of discrimination you have but living in Paris I experienced so much of it. I wasn't prepared for it. I can't tell you how many times people murmered "terrorist" as I passed or jumped to the conclusion I'm an opressed woman when I'd wear hijab. Once while dinning I overheard a couple mutter "i'd wish theyd stay in the suburbs". Those types of things never happened in the States. I'm so glad to be back home. I can't speak for the rest of the states but I love the diversity here. Remember to keep a positive attitude and you'll do just fine.

sipakv said...

Hi Ali,
Glad to read your blog. I'm from MAdagascar and also living in the States.