Thursday, July 13, 2006

What is black?

So, yesterday, I was talking with this African-American friend of mine, and I just had an epiphany: Apparently, I am not black! This came as quite a shock to me, as I have been looking at the mirror for 23 years, and I have always seen a black man looking back at me. But apparently I am not black, because I am not US-American. In other words, only US-Americans of African descent are black; the rest of us are just Africans, or West Indians, Carribeans, or Latin Americans, but we are not Black! Wow, man. I have been fooled for so long! But then how come I am darker than most of them? hum... interesting...

More seriously, the debate is a really stupid one, and quite senseless, when we know that we are all in fact different shades of brown. People of African descent here in the US need to recover their pride in their African heritage. And those of us that are Africans need to make an effort to understand and associate more... politely with our brethren on this side of the pond.

Then, we can work on duking it out with our pink... I meant white fellow humans :).

No comments: