Thursday, June 09, 2005

They shall beat their swords into Plowshares...


Today is the first day of the best days of my life... in the short term anyway. I have been away from blogging because I had to spend a bit of time organizing my immediate future. Though I am still working on a lot of that, it is definitely true that part of it has been solved by this position that I have been offered a bit out of the blue, and that I started working on today. I am one of three students/recent grads from three Liberal Arts Colleges in Indiana, that are in charge of organizing the Plowshares Student Peace Conference, which will be held at Goshen College (the other 2 schools are Manchester College, and Earlham College, my alma mater). And we have received today the wonderful news that we have finalized the booking of our keynote speaker : Paul Rusesabagina (you know the guy that Don Cheadle plays in Hotel Rwanda). It is going to be an awesome conference, and I am definitely looking forward to it. And this new gig is much more fulfilling than my previous position at the AFL-CIO. I am now feeling much more invigorated to face the world.

The joint Grant/Organization that I work for, is called the Plowshares Project, it's awesome (with the expectable quirks), and I will let you visit their website, to understand what it is. There is also this page on the actual conference. Please check them out. My two alter-egos are awesome so far, and I see no reason for that to change. They are Erin Williams (Goshen College, Canadian) and Camilo Velasquez (Manchester College, Nicaraguan), and I am really enjoying my first days with them.

Other than that, I am back in force, and there are so many things I want to address. Check my blogs around, and you will see.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Ali! That's so awesome! Both the part about you getting a job and the part about Paul R... coming to be the keynote speaker!

Ush, I'm so proud! :-)